Saturday, June 21, 2008

Halle's Public Service Announcement

Good afternoon, Poppers! It appears that we have a little afternoon shower going on today, but all I can say is, "at least it's not snow!" I hope everyone celebrated the summer solstice in some super hot Hot HOT manner last night! Yay SUMMER!!!

When I considered the intent of Halle's Happenings, I hadn't really planned on any sort of advocacy, but I want to talk for just a moment about something I hold near and dear to my heart. Let's talk about your HEALTH!

There are few things in life over which we have any control, but one of them is our health. Now, we can't control our genetics, but we can do things to ensure that we're not endangering ourselves any more than we need to. That said, I want to shine the spotlight on two organizations that exist to make sure the gay community is taking care of itself.

First up is the Damien Center. The Damien Center is located at 26 North Arsenal Indianapolis, IN 46201.

The mission of the Damien Center is to lead the fight to prevent the spread of HIV and to empower persons in Central Indiana affected by HIV/AIDS to move forward each day with dignity. The Damien Center offers vital supportive services to those infected and affected by HIV/AIDS so they may live abundant and productive lives. {They} also promote comprehensive HIV prevention services, including HIV testing, prevention counseling, education and advocacy. {They} believe passionately in the dignity and worth of every person who seeks their services. {They} strive to be a safe and welcoming place so that no barriers separate people from the services they need to prolong and enhance their lives.

The Damien Center offers Housing & Economic Assitance; Food & Nutrition services; and Care Coordination & Counseling. If you or anyone you know is living with or affected with HIV/AIDS, this resource exists for you and them. Even if you don't need their services personally, please consider donating your time or resources. Please take a moment to visit their website at http://www.damien.org/.

The next group I want to talk about is Step-Up, Inc. Step Up's physical address is 8580 Cedar Place Drive, Suite 117 Indianapolis, IN 46240.

Step-Up (Services, Training, Education and Prevention), believes in providing education, training and advocacy and technical assistance to promote health and well-being; with a focus on HIV/STD prevention and diversity.

As a sexually-active, responsible adult, I do take advantage of HIV/STD testing facilities provided in Indianapolis. One of the great things about Step-Up, Inc. is that they bring the testing facility to YOU. I know that it can be somewhat embarrassing to go into a doctor's office or a public health clinic for your semi-annual or annual testing. You can't use embarrassment as an excuse for not being tested, Poppers. Step-Up, Inc. has free Free FREE 20-minute oral swab HIV testing and blood-draw Syphillis testing available at Greg's/Our Place, The 501, Club Indy and The Works.

I experienced first-hand the professionalism and personal touch the prevention and outreach coordinators bring to the testing sites about 3 weeks ago. I was tested for HIV and syphillis at Greg's/Our Place around 11:30 p.m. on a Wednesday night. I took advantage of the testing simply because I was there and it was free. Ryan Nix, the prevention coordinator and I have known each other semi-socially for about 2 years now and under the circumstances we were meeting then, he did everything he could to put me at ease and make me feel comfortable. It felt kind of weird at first, but then it just turned into a couple of friends talking about a necessary evil. I appreciate Ryan, Ramon Reyes and everyone else at Step-Up for their efforts. Chances are you've seen them out and about handing out safer sex kits. Take the kits...use the kits.

Poppers, our community is at epidemic-levels for Syphillis. Left unchecked, it can cause blindness, deafness and dementia. Get tested! If necessary...get treated!

To find out about Step-Up, Inc, to get information about their services, or to find out their testing schedule, please visit their website at http://www.stepupin.org/.

Okay, that's the Momma in me talking to you, kids. Get tested and be healthy. We have plenty of resources at our disposal, but too often, we don't use them. If you're nervous about getting tested, let me know...I'll go with you and hold your hand if you want me to.

Love you, babies!

*kiss kiss*

Halle

No comments: