Monday, May 26, 2008

Pearl Necklace Edition

Morning, sweetpeas...it's your gurl, Halle Pino! Welcome to my new blog! I've been considering starting this for awhile and after the past few weekends I've had, I decided it was beyond time to share my world with you.

The purpose of this blog will be to discuss all things drag (female illusion/campy/fundraising/TV) in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas. I'll be mentioning all the sightings of drag queens (DQs) I have as well as fun and funky music, sites, pageants, shows and behind the scenes cat fights. This first posting is really just to introduce myself as well as to send air-kisses out to the DQs I saw over the weekend.

I did drag for the very first time in 2004. A friend and I decided that Halloween was the perfect time to try to wedge our big-ass feets into CFM pumps and strut our way down the streets of Indy. I actually went out dressed in a Catholic school girl's green tartan skirt, white oxford, thigh highs and 5" Mary Jane platforms. When I put it all together, I actually looked like a cross between Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez, so of course everyone just called me Britney Lopez. It was fitting.

The next time I tried performing was in 2006 at a lesbian bar here in Indy called The Ten. It was quite frightening, but I still managed to muddle through my rendition of "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue. The crowd at The Ten on a Sunday night (their open stage) is predominantly African-American bull dykes (my apologies if you dislike the term, but there are very few lipstick lesbians or gayelles that frequent the bar). The costume was ridiculous...the make-up scarily garish...the song choice inadvertently inappropriate...the movements robotic and lame...but it was what it was. I still wound up making more tips than anyone else who performed. My stage name, in recognition of my Drag Mother Carma Blake was Serenity Blake. It didn't last...I don't care to be named after an adult diaper.


The next time I threw on a dress was for the Bag Lady bus tour. I went as a geisha and called myself Vera Wang. Here's a picture of that travesty:


After participating in the bus tour, the next natural step in the progression was performing in the Bag Lady holiday show. It was on my birthday, December 9, 2007 at Talbott Street. This was the night that Halle Pino was born. My name was actually given to me by a former Bus Lady Queen, Sequoia Pentecost. It fits because I'm ethnic (Filipino, Cherokee, German & Dutch) and most people think I'm latina. Most people don't realize that the name is a play on words (Halle Pino = jalapeno); to me it's more a nod to my FiliPINO roots and less an attempt to be the next Chi Chi LaRue, Perez Hilton or Carmen Miranda; but it works. The name rolls right off of your tongue, doesn't it? Halle Pino! I love it...I own it...and I work it!


Well, before I close this inaugural post, I just want to send air-kisses out the DQs I saw out and about over the Memorial Day weekend...June Taylor...Anastassia Demoore...Asia LaBouche...Erica King...Regina Bitch...Aurora Diamond...Queen Blossom...Ricki Summers...and my sister in crime, Summer Clearance. Extra *kiss kiss* to my gurl, Naomi Divine...love ya, mami. If y'all need any female illusion related custom made clothing or hair or make-up, give a Naomi a shout...gurl is FEROSH!!

Keep it spicy my Halle Pino Poppers!

Halle

No comments: